Current Problems of Psychiatry

Temperamental risk factors in young adults with ADHD symptoms

Temperamentalne czynniki ryzyka u młodych dorosłych z objawami ADHD

ORIGINAL PAPER

Curr Probl Psychiatry 2020;21(3): 140-153

DOI: 10.2478/cpp-2020-0013

© 2020 Authors. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonComercial-No Derivs licence (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)


Natalia Kajka1 , Agnieszka Kulik1, Maja Wachnicka2

1 Department of Psychotherapy and Health Psychology, The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin

2 The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin

Full Text

Abstract

 

Introduction. In recent years, numerous studies have focused on the analysis of the primary mechanisms and forms of therapy in children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The analysis of such topics among similarly diagnosed young adults is only beginning to gain popularity. The present article attempts to answer the question of whether the level of individual temperament traits will predict an increase in the severity of ADHD symptoms in young adults.

Materials and methods. The questionnaire study involved 111 young adults aged from 18 to 28 (M= 23; SD= 2.12; 70 women and 41 men). Fifty-one people were included in the clinical group, and sixty were qualified for the control one. The participants of the study completed a health questionnaire and a structured diagnostic interview on ADHD symptoms in adults (DIVA 2.0) and a questionnaire for the diagnosis of basic, biologically determined dimensions of human personality (FCZ-KT (R)).

Results. The results indicate a significant role of four temperament traits that may be considered as specific risk factors for the aggravation of ADHD symptoms. These include briskness, rhythm, endurance and activity.

Conclusions. In Strelau's Regulatory Theory of Temperament, the variability of temperament traits (in the Polish population) is attributed in 44% to genetic factors. The remaining 56% indicate non-genetic factors. The obtained results may indicate which factors are important in therapeutic work both in the group of young adults with ADHD symptoms, and may also constitute a source of information for parents or teachers regarding younger children with these symptoms.

 

Keywords: ADHD, briskness, rhythm, endurance, activity.


Streszczenie

Wstęp. Na przestrzeni ostatnich lat przedmiotem wielu badań była analiza mechanizmów pierwotnych i form terapii dzieci i młodzieży z zespołem nadpobudliwości psychoruchowej z zaburzeniami uwagi (ADHD). Analiza podobnej tematyki wśród młodych dorosłych z tą diagnozą dopiero współcześnie zaczyna zyskiwać na popularności. W niniejszym artykule podjęto próbę odpowiedzi na pytanie czy nasilenie poszczególnych cech temperamentu będzie przewidywało wzrost nasilenia objawów ADHD u młodych dorosłych.

Materiał i metoda. W badaniu kwestionariuszowym wzięło udział 111 osób w wieku od 18 do 28 lat (M=23; SD=2,12; 70 kobiet i 41 mężczyzn). Do grupy klinicznej włączono 51 osób, zaś do grupy kontrolnej zakwalifikowano 60 osób. Uczestnicy badań uzupełniali ankietę stanu zdrowia oraz ustrukturalizowany wywiad diagnostyczny dotyczący objawów ADHD u dorosłych (DIVA 2.0) i kwestionariusz do diagnozy podstawowych, biologicznie zdeterminowanych wymiarów osobowości człowieka (FCZ - KT (R)).

Wyniki. wskazują na istotną rolę czterech czynników temperamentalnych, które mogą być uznane za swoiste czynniki ryzyka nasilenia objawów ADHD. Należą do nich żwawość, rytmiczność, wytrzymałość i aktywność.

Dyskusja. W Regulacyjnej Teorii Temperamentu Strelaua zmienność cech temperamentu (w polskiej populacji) przypisuje się w 44% czynnikom genetycznym. Pozostałe 56% wskazuje na czynniki poza genetyczne (56%). Uzyskane wyniki mogą wskazywać jakie czynniki są istotne w pracy terapeutycznej zarówno w grupie młodych dorosłych z objawami ADHD, jak również mogą stanowić źródło informacji dla rodziców, czy nauczycieli względem młodszych dzieci z tymi objawami.

 

Słowa kluczowe: ADHD, żwawość, rytmiczność, wytrzymałość, aktywność

Calendar

Grudzień 2022

Pon Wto Śro Czw Pią Sob Nie
      01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31